Inappropriate Treatment Escalations at End-of-Life in the Context of Healthcare Disparities
July 13, 2017
Presented by Kelly Stuart, MD, MPH, MTS, MSNDR
Vice President of Mission and Ethics Bon Secours Richmond Health System
Mission Leader St. Francis Medical Center
- How historic and current healthcare disparities affect surrogate decision making at EOL.
- How the medical surrogate’s role in advocating for equity in EOL leads to escalations in technology.
- How medical practice paradigms, reimbursement and statutory requirements around EOL decision making compound the problem of inappropriate treatment demands.
- EOL care and advance care planning as specific areas of healthcare disparity.
- Patient/family communication strategies for aligning healthcare team and medical surrogate’s goals of care.